Groups, sections, units or departments need time to consolidate, motivate, innovate, learn and have a good time. A Teambuilding day, an Away Day or whichever name is chosen is a very useful tool for this.
A teambuilding day should always be designed together with the key stakeholders and tailored to the present needs. An example of a general layout could be:
- Welcome and warm up exercise
- Content work e.g. on the group’s image, conflicts in the group, type differences, communication structures, workshops on specific topics
- Lunch and some active start of the afternoon
- Content work e.g. on how the findings from the morning can be implemented/integrated in the groups daily work
- Ending the day with an inclusive exercise
It is important to pay attention to venue, atmosphere, planning and introduction of the day when designing the day.